We have been posting a ton of recipes lately, but they have been pretty meat centric. To help appease our vegetarian/healthier friends we found a great salad recipe to share. This one is a mango, avocado and arugula salad. It is a very simple salad to put together with a nice fresh vinaigrette.
- 6 cups arugula leaves
- 1 mango, peeled and cut into long slices
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 1 tbs lime juice
Spicy orange vinaigrette
- 1 tbs champagne vinegar
- 4 tbs orange juice, about ½ orange
- 2 tbs lime juice, about ½ lime
- 4 tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
- 1 red chili or hot pepper, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all the ingredients for the salad dressing in a bowl or jar, stir or shake until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Soak the onion slices in warm water with a dash of salt and 1 tbs lime juice for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the onions slices.
- Toss the arugula leaves with half of the vinaigrette.
- Add the avocado slices, mango slices and onion slices to the arugula mix, drizzle the remaining vinaigrette on top.
Here is the orange vinaigrette
We are not big salad eaters here at We Ate That, but we decided we have to give all things a try. We chose this salad because it had mango and avocado in it, both things we love. We had our fingers crosses that this would be at least tolerable. Once we ate, we all agreed that this salad was very good.
The key to any good salad is the freshness of the ingredients. This recipe is simply arugula, mango and avocado topped with red onion slices. The vinaigrette helps to complete this dishadding a nice citrus flavor which pairs perfectly with the mango and avocado. The sweetness of the vinaigrette and mango help to cut the bitterness of the arugula. It is a very fresh salad that would work very nicely at a summer BBQ. It would also be a great complement to tacos, chicken or steak marinated with similar flavors.
We would recommend this recipe to everyone, even those who do not like salad.